Sunday, July 27, 2008

The Lost Art of Saving Money


Currently, we are in debt. After making the decision to start a business and thus become impoverished people.. we of course immediately had to make large purchases in the form of supplies and business necessities. And some Learning Experiences occurred involving craft festivals and the current economic climate tacked on extra debt. It's not massive debt, but a lack of self discipline has kept the debt gnawing at us.
But now it's time. Past time, in fact. The truth is, we want a house. We need a house. We don't have enough space and we're ready to move into the next stage of our lives..i.e. move to the country and live on a piece of land in a little house. I crave it so much that during my workout sessions I find myself fantasizing about herb gardens whilst doing lunges. I'm completely ready for this new life which will make me so happy.
So this week we started our action plan. We need to make and save enough money to pay our debt and have a small down payment for a house by Spring. That means living below our means and having great holiday sales. I'm now at the point in my life where I recognize that doing without things and simplifying my life in order to have the things which will make me exponentially happier.. i.e. run my own business, spend more time with my husband, private little house in the country, ability to travel. It's actually sort of exciting and I hope our new lifestyle sticks and we're able to do lots more with our money.
The funny thing is that in many ways we are actually living much better now. We're cooking lots of fresh foods at home, I'm working out more (stress reduction) and we've been working at getting rid of a lot of things we don't need in order to be more ready for when we do move. So our home is less cluttered and nicer to enjoy.

4 comments:

Lisa Abdul-Quddus said...

I completely understand where you're coming from. I dream of a piece of land to grow a garden and have lots of space. Ahhh...one day.:) Wishing you & your husband much success in reaching your goal.

Gray Eyed Scorpio said...

Stick to it! I was involved in a "digging out of debt" forum and it made me a little more accountable. You can do it; you will eventually live the dream.

GreenSpaceGoods said...

Yeah. This summer I went to Ohio to visit some family out in the country. I couldn't believe how relaxed I was. My blood pressure was down. I felt great. Then I had to come home. Someday I'll be able to do it. I wish you lots of luck in your path. You're a lot braver than I am. I just want to be surrounded by green fields some day. (preferably before I'm buried in one!)

Learning Spanish at 41 said...

Oh, yes, this hits close to home for us as well. We're working on our debt reduction following Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace plan and it's challenging but rewarding, too. Big kudos to you and your hubby for getting the ball rolling and keep us posted on your successes!