Sunday, August 10, 2008

Designing for Myself: The Cobbler's Children Have No Shoes


  Since I started my jewelry design business a little over a year ago, money and time have been tight. I don't design jewelry I wouldn't wear, and mostly, I'm absolutely in love with my designs. But I'm running a business in order to support myself and I can't really keep very much of it for my own use.  In the last few months I've made a couple repeat necklaces for myself.. from items that I am able to produce over and over, but the lovely, one of a kind pieces incorporating vintage treasures are all sold away. I can't afford to keep them in spite of the fact that they are really special to me. I always feel a pang when I sell these pieces.

  Last night, however... I made a one of a kind necklace from a vintage pansy brooch and lovely yellow beads. It was very beautiful.. and very *me*... my favorite color.. casual enough to wear every day, but still in my vintage formal style. I showed it to my husband and he agreed that it was perfectly my style and that it was a shame I could only create one necklace. As I started writing the description of the necklace for my shop... talking about how the necklace would look great with so many things... trying to decide how much I was willing to sell it for. 
Then I reached over with the mouse and deleted the listing for the necklace. This one is mine and I'm going to look fabulous. 

2 comments:

Kristin said...

You have a BEAUTIFUL etsy shop! You have an amazing eye for jewelry making! Glad I found your shop!

PAC said...

Wow, gorgeous necklace!!